Chess Openings

Monday, March 27, 2006

Sicilian Defense

1.e4 c5
The Sicilian Defense is a very popular response to 1. e4. Here black immediately controls the d4 square. Eventually he would like to trade off the c pawn for whites d pawn. This would give black an extra central pawn which could lead to a dominating center. I normally play some variation of the Sicilian as black and respond to the Sicilian with 2...f4 as white.

Tal Gambit Declined
I regularly find myself in this position as white. Jeremy Silman claims this is better for black, it may very well be, but I feel comfortable with white pieces. I really like the fact that I have made good use of my normally weak f pawn.

Wikipedia Sicilian
The wikipedia page for the Sicilian isn't nearly as robust as its page for the Ruy Lopez. Never the less, it does display most of the main lines in the Sicilian. (Dragon, Najdorf, Classical, Scheveningen, Moscow...)

Combating The Sicilian Dragon
This is a two part series by Jeremy Silman offering practical advice from whites position. If you keep getting eaten by the dragon this is definately worth checking out.

Yugoslav Attack
I used to play this position with white. I also see it sometimes as black, although usually not by design...I really should study the dragon more. This is a little statistical data on the Yugoslav Attack that I find somewhat interesting. Out of 417 games white won 42.4% of the matches.

Sicilian Defense Games
This is an interesting set of games by a user from ChessGames.com.

Sicilian Variations
This is a pretty extensive resource explaining 16 different variations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home